Please follow these instructions to apply for admission into the Director of Special Education and Pupil Services (DSEPS) program at UW-Eau Claire.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Application start date - Monday, January 4, 2021
- Application deadline - Tuesday, March 16, 2021
- Admission decisions will be made by - Monday, April 5, 2021
- Admitted student online orientation - Wednesday, May 5, 2021 from 4:30 p.m.– 6 p.m.
The application is in two parts:
1. Apply for admission to UW-Eau Claire as a graduate student in the DSEPS program
2. Apply for admission to the program
First, apply for admission to UW-Eau Claire at https://apply.wisconsin.edu.
UW System campuses have a variety of application types. You’ll be prompted to answer the following questions before/while applying. Select indicated responses if accurate for your circumstances:
- Are you applying for a degree or a few courses? Select: a few courses
- Are you a U.S. citizen? Select: yes
- Have you graduated from high school/secondary school and earned your GED/HSED? Select: yes
- Do you plan to take undergraduate or graduate classes? Select: graduate classes
- Do you have a Bachelor's degree (or will you have one by the time of the course)? Select: yes
If you’ve selected the prompts above, you’ll see this message:
You are a Graduate Non-degree applicant
A Graduate Non-Degree applicant has or will have a Bachelor’s degree (by the time of the course start) and would like to take a graduate level course or two.
Where do you want to go? - Select: UW-Eau Claire and Save/Continue
Choose your program - Select: Director of Special Education and Pupil Services
When would you like to start school? - Select: [Summer 2021--Classes Start May/June]
If you’ve selected the prompts above, you’ll see the following message:
REVIEW YOUR CHOICES-- You are applying as a Graduate student at UW-Eau Claire for Summer 2021 (classes start May/June 2021). You have selected Director of Special Education and Pupil Services as your major/program.
Personal Information - Select: [Choose all pertinent information regarding name, address, etc.]
Residency - Are you claiming Wisconsin residency to qualify for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate? Select: Yes*
*DSEPS tuition rate is flat rate of
$465.00 per credit for all students.
Academic Background: College/Post-Secondary - Select: [Choose all pertinent information regarding major, dates, etc.]
College Transcript - (Required Action): The UW E-App will state that transcripts are not necessary. However, you must request official GRADUATE transcripts from the institution that conferred your graduate degree. You will also need your UNDERGRADUATE transcripts from the institution that conferred your undergraduate degree. Your transcripts should be mailed or sent electronically directly from that college/university to this address:
UW-Eau Claire Admissions Office
105 Garfield Ave.
Eau Claire, WI 54701
OR via email at email@example.com
Essay - No Action Required: As a DSEPS applicant, no essay is required in this section.
Sign your application/Pay - No Payment Required: As a DSEPS applicant, no application payment is needed.
Second, apply to the DSEPS Program. Applications will open on January 4, 2021. To speed this process, you may wish to gather the supporting documents that you will need to upload to the form:
- Verification of educational licensure
- Three letters of recommendation including one from a current administrator plus one from a previous administrator, if applicable. Letters should address your ability to succeed in this particular program and be current.
- Use this form 540 Confirmation Form to verify completion of at least 540 hours directly teaching academic content to children with special needs. (Applicants who hold a Master's in Special Education and who have at least three years of experiences as a paid special educator are exempt from this requirement.)
- Identify your mentor for the final practicum of 150 hours and submit the mentor agreement DSEPS Mentor Agreement The mentor must be a licensed Director of Special Education & Pupil Services and currently function in this role. (Note: If it is not possible to identify your mentor at this time, you will be expected to do so no later than September 14, 2021)
- Complete the online application form
Important Information regarding admission to the program:
Admission to the program is conditional until the candidate has passed a Criminal Background Check with no concerns. (The applicant is responsible for the cost of approximately $40 for the CBC). The CBC is required of all students admitted to the DPI licensure programs, even if the applicant has recently passed the CBC at their place of employment. Instructions on how to request a CBC will be provided to you if you are conditionally admitted.
Please plan to attend an online orientation to the DSEPS program, May 5, 2021, 4:30-6:00 pm.
Start application form
Online Program Applicants: State of Residency
Wisconsin is a SARA state (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) and the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a SARA-approved institution. "The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state." (http://nc-sara.org/) Although CA and MA are not SARA-approved states at this time, UW-Eau Claire may currently accept students from these states as well.