This course introduces students to professional copyediting and proofreading. Gain the skills you need to begin working in publishing.
|Series||Technical Writing: Online Certificate Programs and Classes|
|Next Session||Register anytime!|
Learn new skills in copyediting and proofreading
Learn the role of an editor and different types of editing, including mechanical editing, copyediting, proofreading, and substantive editing. The course begins with a review of editing markup before delving into copyediting exercises in punctuation, spelling and abbreviations, quantitative material, language and style, and visuals. Students practice copyediting, proofreading, and electronic editing of Word documents, PDFs, online help, and web pages. Students learn how to create and use a style sheet and how to complete a comprehensive edit. Each unit presents the student with a new topic and related content to edit.
This course can be completed sooner with permission of the instructor.
The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications Amy Einsohn and Marilyn Schwartz ISBN-13: 978-0520286726
The Copyeditor's Handbook and Workbook: The Complete Set Amy Einsohn and Marilyn Schwartz ISBN-13: 978-0520306677
Upon successful completion, students will have had the opportunity to:
- Edit different materials for grammar, word choice, design, and layout
- Create a style sheet and deliver a final document that has gone through a substantive edit
- Learn about different editing methods and how to provide feedback professionally
Progress and understanding of the material is assessed through:
- Instructor evaluation of your written assignments (9 assignments total covering different elements of copyediting)
- Quizzes (2 quizzes total covering different elements of copyediting)
- A final comprehensive project (comprised of an analysis, style sheet, and edited document)
- Role of an editor; Markup review
- Copyediting for punctuation
- Copyediting for spelling
- Copyediting quantitative material
- Copyediting for language and style
- Visual design
- Editing online help
- Editing web pages
- Style sheets
- Comprehensive editing
For a more detailed outline make your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Who should attend
Anyone interested in learning more about copyediting and proofreading.
Leah Parent has worked in the technical writing industry for over 15 years, focusing on computer software documentation, copy editing, and document design. She has been teaching technical writing, editing, and online documentation for nearly 10 years. She enjoys teaching integral technical writing skills both to those who are new to the field and to professionals who are looking to advance their learning. Leah has a BA in Communications and an MA in Technical Communications from Northeastern University.