Take a journey to provide light and clarity; removing the blindfold of bias
|Ethics and Boundaries
The impact of personal bias
Emotions impact the decisions we make, including the ‘good’, the ‘bad’, and the ‘ugly’ influencers that rest in the deep areas of our mind: heuristics. We say we are not biased individuals but the reality; our underlying thoughts and emotions are based on preconceptions and lived experience. We will take a deep dive into the cognitive biases that are subconsciously impacting your decision making, your role as a helper, and may be blinding you from making the best decisions. We will explore how these biases affect your personal relationships, judgments regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion, and the day-to-day responses in working with others.
- Gain an understanding of heuristics.
- Explore and interpret personal cognitive biases that affect decision making.
- Examine personal biases to improve self-awareness in the role of helper.
- Develop and enhance interventions with clients from differing identities and cultures than oneself.
- Demonstrate understanding of the Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct (MPSW 20), ethical principles, and boundaries applied to specific ethical dilemmas when confronting ethical challenges by co-workers, utilizing the Nine Step Ethical-Decision Making Model.
This program satisfies the Wisconsin Social Worker’s Ethics and Boundaries requirements for licensing.
Who should attend
Social workers, counselors, psychologists, marriage and family therapists, substance abuse counselors, school psychologists, and other human service professionals
Dana Johnson, from Wisconsin, is a career social worker, practicing in senior-level management in state government, county human services, an educator in higher education, and operating a consulting and professional development firm. His experience includes child welfare practice, policy, and reform; transformational organizational leadership and culture change, supervision of teams, continuous quality improvement, and dynamic equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts across micro, mezzo, and macro systems.