Motivational Interviewing as a Trauma-Informed Communication Style
Motivational interviewing continues to gain popularity and is an effective approach to client-centered therapy and counseling. This interactive training in Rice Lake, WI will focus on motivational interviewing techniques to provide trauma-informed care.
|Categories||Professional and Workforce Development | Health Care | Human Services|
Who Should Attend
Health and human service professionals interested in enhancing their ability to create safety and trust with those they serve and across their team.
Communicate to Heal
Healing happens in relationship. The rapport between any provider and served person is validated by science and our own experience to be the key criteria in a person making choices to change and heal.
Join us to explore how to learn and leverage the communication skill of Motivational Interviewing as a trauma-informed style of communication that: creates rapid rapport, draws forth the served person’s resilience and creates an environment that allows trauma survivors to experience safety and trust in a service relationship.
This highly interactive training builds on the foundation of motivational interviewing by incorporating trauma awareness. Learn about this unique model that was created by The Alma Institute of Milwaukee where you will have the chance to practice what is being taught. This training is offered in person at UW-Eau Claire–Barron County in Rice Lake, WI.
What will be covered:
- Establish a sense of safety and trust when serving a client or person
- Enhance systems of support for served persons to continue their healing journey
- Empower by awakening served person’s self-awareness of their reasons and ability to heal
- Partner to provide education on the effects of trauma
- Partner to teach grounding practices
- Enhance served person’s executive functioning
- Establish healthy attachment and connection
- Reframe and integrate traumatic experiences
- Encourage meaning-making and purpose
- Affirm post-traumatic growth
Shawn Smith is the Founder of Share Training, a human services professional development organization dedicated to advancing the training and implementation of trauma-informed practices. He has over 20 years of direct service and management experience in human services. Shawn regularly shares information on Motivational Interviewing, Trauma Awareness, Wellness for Teams, Cultural Humility, and Reflective Supervision at a local and national level.