Do you wish you knew how to communicate through sign language? This course will give you basic knowledge and understanding to communicate with the Deaf community. Practice the fundamentals of conversation including receptive skills and body language.
Learn sign language and basic ASL communication
Did you know sign language is the third most widely used non-English language in the U.S.? Whether you have little or no experience in sign language, knowing the basics can be an invaluable skill. This program is a great place to start. You will learn the fundamentals of conversation, letters of the alphabet, and gain insight into Deaf Culture and hard of hearing community.
What you will learn:
- Manual alphabet
- Fundamental conversation
- Basic elements of American Sign Language
- Receptive skills (watching and understanding sign)
- Facial expression and body language
- Introduction to Deaf Culture
Who Should Attend
This class is designed for anyone interested in learning to communicate through sign including parents, teachers, health and human service professionals and others working directly with the public. The class is intended for those 16 or older.
- Rachel Kohn is an Interpreter for the Deaf in the Eau Claire Area School District and the community. She has more than 30 years' experience interpreting and teaching sign language. "Rachel does an excellent job of creating a fun, creative, inclusive community in class." -Past Participant