Phlebotomy technicians perform one of the most widely needed duties in healthcare settings - drawing blood from patients. This online course will prepare you to become a Certified Phlebotomy Technician Specialist.
This is a self-pace online course. When you register, you will receive 12 months to complete the course.
This course will give you a comprehensive overview of working as a phlebotomist. During this phlebotomist training course, you will learn about drawing blood from patients and blood donors, evaluating patients' ability to withstand the procedure, and helping them feel comfortable. You will learn how to properly explain the blood-drawing procedure to patients and the importance of answering their queries. In this online phlebotomy course, you will also be introduced to performing basic point-of-care testing, such as reading blood glucose levels and preparing blood, urine, and other specimens for testing, along with maintaining medical equipment such as needles, test tubes, and blood vials.
The asynchronous, online phlebotomy certification course includes simulation experience through the inclusion of a lab kit for assignments and aligned simulations for practice. You will have access to videos outlining procedures and "how to's" that allow for firsthand practice as expected in real-world scenarios. This CPT certification course will also provide you with comprehensive, all-inclusive training, which will assist you in pursuing a new career as a phlebotomy technician and includes a complimentary voucher to sit for the Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) certification exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) upon eligibility.
The course also includes an opportunity to participate in a clinical experience.
Disclaimer: To qualify for the clinical experience application process, students must complete the online course successfully and have account balances up to date (at a minimum). Going through the clinical experience application process does not guarantee a placement. However, affiliated partnerships increase the likelihood of finding a site that matches student needs. COVID may be affecting the capacity of availability in your area. Students can begin researching the steps of the application process two weeks before completing courses.
What you will learn
- Summarizing the role and the responsibilities of a phlebotomy technician
- Ability to describe basic anatomy as it applies to blood and function
- Applying quality and safety measures as they relate to phlebotomy
- Preparing for blood collection
- Performing sample collections
- Executing post-collection procedures
- Choosing ethical behavior that upholds the rights and dignity of patients
How you will benefit
- You will have a complete comprehension and understanding of all tasks related to the role and responsibilities of a phlebotomy technician
- You will receive comprehensive and all-inclusive training, which will help you gain a new vocation as a phlebotomy technician and be fully prepared for any clinical scenario
- Assistance from our Clinical Experience Team and access to our Clinical Experience Guide
- You will be prepared to sit for the Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) certification exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), with a voucher available upon eligibility
Learn more about the Optional Pathways for Professional Phlebotomy Technician Certification
Who should attend
Anyone interested in becoming a Certified Phlebotomy Technician.